What is Auto Enrolment?
Every employer in the UK must put certain staff into a pension scheme, and contribute towards it.
When do I have to enrol?
By your ‘Staging Date’. The Staging Date is the date the law comes into effect for you. The Pension Regulator will send you a letter telling you when this is, but you can also check it here
Do I have to enrol?
Yes, you have a legal duty. You are only exempt if you are a director of a business with no other staff, or your business has a number of directors, none of whom has an employment contract; but you must still complete a Declaration of Compliance within 5 months of your staging date to prevent being fined. Do that here or contact us if you want us to do it for you.
Do I have to enrol all staff?
No, staff will fall into two categories. Type 1 must be put into a pension scheme, and you must contribute towards it. Type 2 don’t need to be put into a pension scheme.
|Gross Earning||Age 16 – 21||Age 22 – SPA||Age SPA – 74|
|Over £192 per week
Over £833 per month
|Type 2||Type 1||Type 2|
|Less than £192 per week
Less than £833 per month
|Type 2||Type 2||Type 2|
SPA = State Pension Age
How much do I have to contribute?
Minimum contributions are being introduced gradually over time;
|Date||Employer Minimum Contribution||Total Minimum Contribution|
|Employer’s staging date to 05/04/18||1%||2% (including 1% staff contribution)|
|06/04/18 — *05/04/19||2%||5% (including 3% staff contribution)|
|06/04/19 onwards||3%||8% (including 5% staff contribution)|
The proposed dates are subject to Parliament approval
How do I do all this?
- Finding out your staging date
- Registering you with The Pension Regulator
- Helping you choose and apply for a Pension Scheme
- Work out who to put into the Pension Scheme
- Enrolling staff into the Pension Scheme
- Writing to your staff
- Submitting your Declaration of Compliance to The Pension Regulator
- Processing your Pension each payday
- Ongoing assessment of all staff, processing joiners & leavers
- Uploading your Monthly Contribution Schedule to your Pension Scheme Provider
- Ongoing support and advice
- 3-Yearly Auto Re-Enrolment & Re-declaration